It is one of the important territories in the region and considered to be the gate of the region to the external world.
Zakho city is full of historical remains, Duhok Archaeology Office listed (15) archaeological locations and they are:
This bridge is erected over Khabir river to the east of the city. There are different stories or opinions concerning its construction, (Hamarteen) says it is Roman, (Asskeef) says it is Greek and one of the leaders of the great Alexandar AL- Makadoni his name was (Slowkas) ordered to erect the bridge and some of the archaeologists in the Iraqi General Directorate of Archaeology think it might be erected by one of the Badinan Sultans but it is certain that the new bridge is erected on the remains of the ancient one. We think that one of the Badinan princes renovated it and repaired what was destroyed from the bridge. There is a famous epic in the from of a song in the Kurdish language about the construction of the bridge. The length of the bridge is about (114M), the width is about (4.70M) the height from the water surface is about (15.50M)it is erected by carved stones and consists of a wide and high curve in the middle and other smaller curves on the sides totally they are five curves. The walls are built by carved lime stones and they are put together in a beautiful and decorated way by using lime for plastering the walls. The history of Dalal bridge construction can not be identified because there are no signs, statues and writings on the bridge to show its erection date.
( Pera Dalal) is an ancient name called by Zakho people, in some sectors they call it (Pera Mazen) mean the great bridge. It has another name which is ( Aabassi bridge) it is a new one named at the thirtieths from this century by an official order from the Mayor of Zakho at that time, the archaeologist (Conrad Brouice) mentioned it and visited it in 15th of April, 1909 under name of Khabir bridge.
It lies in the city center on the western of Khabir river and it is still in sight, it was the governing house in the reign of Badinan Emirate but the prince (Ali Khan 1205- 1212H) renovated and extended the castle. The castle was erected on the ruins of an older castle because the remained parts indicate that it was a strong and hard castle built by big pebble stones and coated with gypsum, still there is a huge tower erected by sequared stones still in sight.
3- Qubad Pasha castle
This castle situates in the cemetery of Zakho, it has a hexagon shape, six windows and a gate as an enterance. Eathenware and lime were used in building and plastering the castle with writings and pictures on it but they are removed at the present time.
Kesta was an ancint city, its history belonged to the Assyrian periods, since Assyrian, Greek and Islamic coins and statues were found in this city. The late Shamdeen had written about Kesta remains in Ikha magazine in May, 1933 and about other archaeological locations. It is far from the governorate center in abour (58)km.